Immigration Executive Order #2 “Border Security and Immigration Enforcement Improvements”
This is part #2 as I already wrote up a piece on the first Executive Order here.
This Executive Order focuses on the Border, the wall, and Border Patrol.
The Executive Order states as its priority to “secure the southern border of the United States through the immediate construction of a physical wall on the southern border, monitored and supported by adequate personnel so as to prevent illegal immigration, drug and human trafficking, and acts of terrorism”
Everything listed in the Exec Order focuses on that theme. It does the following:
- Detain suspected illegal immigrants (no catch and release)
- Expedite claims of Asylum, Refugee Status, or other claims of eligibility proposed by the detained immigrant
- Plan and begin construction on the wall, “to most effectively achieve complete operational control of the southern border”
- Allocate funds for the wall
- A comprehensive study that includes what the situation is on the border
- Construct new detention facilities to house detainees
- Assign asylum officers to the detention facilities to expedite processing for asylum and refugees at the border
- Assign more judges to the boarder to expedite deportation hearings
- Restricts discretion regarding releasing certain detained immigrants
- Hires 5,000 new border patrol agents
- Ends the abuse of “Parole, Asylum, and Removal” laws that are slowing down deportation proceedings. (For immigration professionals, “The Secretary shall take all appropriate action, including by promulgating any appropriate regulations, to ensure that asylum referrals and credible fear determinations pursuant to section 235(b)(1) of the INA (8 U.S.C. 1125(b)(1)) and 8 CFR 208.30, and reasonable fear determinations pursuant to 8 CFR 208.31, are conducted in a manner consistent with the plain language of those provisions.”
- Empowers the US Attorney’s Office to prioritize any crime that has a connection to the US/Mexico border.
Thats a lot, but that is what it does.
Here is Trump’s presser on the topic.